Best inventions in the world are created inside the laboratories. Laboratories are created to control conditions for experiments since the 18th century. Since science and technology are becoming an essential part of our lives, more people are pursuing their careers of becoming scientists. Kids nowadays wanted to work in labs and help solve the problems of the society.
Laboratories usually perform extreme research which can harm the body. To protect ourselves from chemical reactions, we wear safety clothing and gears such as the lab coats, gloves, and of course goggles.
Laboratory goggles are eyewear that aims to protect our eyes from foreign elements such as chemicals, dust, boiling water and others. Goggles are first worn by the native people of Arctic region to protect their eyes from snow that they carve. Today, goggles are worn in sports, in the industrial workplace, in aviation, and even in laboratories.
Lab goggles are now available in different designs and different types. Goggles can sometimes be anti-splash, anti-impact, and anti-ultraviolet. If you are a student enrolled in a science class or a laboratory technician, you’ll definitely need to invest in lab goggles immediately. Check out some of the lab goggles available in the market:
Uvex Stealth OTG Safety Goggles
The first product to try is the Uvex Stealth OTG safety goggles. Uvex or ultraviolet excluded company has been founded in the 1950s and they have been providing quality sunglasses in both the western and eastern hemisphere. The lens is also available in different colors such as clear, amber, gray, and shade 3.0.
This stealth OTG or over-the-glass goggles is available in two headband styles which are fabric and neoprene. Users with prescribed contact lens or reading glasses can still use this goggles. The lens is very clear and it is also available in different colors such as clear, amber, gray, and shade 3.0. The lens can be cleaned and replaced as well. It has anti-scratch and anti-fog coating which gives an extra layer of protection to its users. Its headband is flexible and you can adjust it to the most comfortable position you want to.
The product dimension is 7.3″ x 3.9″ x 3.9″ and it weighs around 3.4 ounces. These goggles are made of polycarbonate and it can be used in laboratories and industries. It wraps around your eyes, thus you will be sure of the shield it offers.
NoCry Safety Glasses
The NoCry safety glasses can be used in laboratories, welding, and other industrial location. The NoCry company offers home and work safety gears such as gloves and sunglasses. It is a company in the USA and it has been serving its customers for almost five years.
The sides of these lab goggles are available in different colors such as black, green, orange, and pink. The lens is transparent and clear. The nose pieces and the sides are Italian design and it can be adjusted to stay comfortably on your eyes. It won’t slip on your face and stays firmly. Even after long hours of wearing this goggles, you won’t feel any pressure from it because of the rubber tips and pads. These goggles are coated with anti-fog, anti-glare, plus UV protection features.
The product dimension is 4.3″ x 10″ x 1.9″ and weighs about 0.2 ounces. This is a perfect partner in any laboratories, clinics, and emergency rooms.
3M TEKK Goggle
The 3m Tekk goggles is a must-have for any kind of work. The 3M company has been around in the United States for a hundred years.
This goggle is available in one pack up to ten packs. It is used to protect the eyes from a chemical reaction, liquid, dust, and other harmful particles inside the laboratory. The lens is clear and transparent and it has anti-fog formula too. The product dimension is 2″ x 2.8″ x 6.8″ and weighs about 0.3 ounces. Its headband is flexible and available in black color.
You can have this goggles in your school laboratories or workstation immediately. This is indeed an excellent item with a very affordable price!
Gateway 6980 Safety Glasses
Another product to check is the Gateway 6980 safety glasses. Gateway safety has been around since 1944 and it provides safety equipment throughout the United States of America.
The lens of their safety glasses comes in different colors such as clear, gray, and shade 5.0. It is coated with anti-scratch features and it is made of polycarbonate. It is tough, heat resistant, and color stable. It has also an OTG or over-the-glass feature, thus you can wear your prescribed glasses with this goggles. The tips are comfortable and the sides of the frame can be adjusted. This product can be used indoors or outdoors too.
The product dimension is 6″ x 2″ x 1.8″ and weighs about 0.3 ounces. If you are looking for a modern OTG design unlike other classic and heavy eyewear, then this lab goggles is the right product for you!
TR Industrial Lab Safety Goggle
The TR Industrial offers power tools and lab safety goggles too. These goggles are approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z78.1 and CE mark or European Conformity.
The lens is clear and transparent and it is made of polycarbonate which is a durable product. It measures 3″ x 7″. Its unique features include impact-resistant and anti-fog treatment. The frame is made of PVC and it has good ventilation system above and below the lenses. Its headband is adjustable and it comes with a clip too.
The product dimension is 7.8″ x 6.5″ x 3.5″ and weighs about 5.6 ounces. It features wide angle vision and also it protects you from a chemical reaction in the laboratory, so try it now!
What to Look For
In working at laboratories, we usually use coats, gloves, and goggles. We often neglect wearing goggles because we didn’t realize its importance in our lives. Thus, check out the general features to look when buying lab goggles so you’ll be guided in your next shop:
- Lens color-The first thing to consider is the lens color. Decide if you are going to use the goggles in a well-lighted laboratory or a dark room. A clear and transparent lens is suitable for a dark room while a colored lens is suitable for those working with lots of lights or those exposed to direct ultraviolet rays. You can also just buy a transparent and clear lens for all-around laboratory activities.
- Lens Size- Apart from the lens color, its size is another feature to look out too. If you are wearing reading glasses, then a bigger goggles might be the recommended size for you. Also, opt for a lens that can wrap around your eyes to protect it from spills but make sure that it won’t hurt your lashes. Smaller goggles don’t mean it’s lightweight because it might have disadvantages too.
- Frame- Make sure that the frame is just enough for your eyes. Opt for rubber or silicone foam under the frame, so no water can get through your eyes while you are working. Silicone are expensive yet they are effective. You can also choose rubber but make sure that you are not allergic on it.
- Nosepiece- Choose goggles with adjustable nosepiece. Make sure that the goggles won’t hurt your nose even if you’ve been using it for longer hours. Go for products that make you feel like you’re not wearing goggles at all.
- Strap or side- Good goggles must have an adjustable strap or adjustable sides. Also, the material used must not pose any chemical reaction on your body. The straps or sides must not hurt your head even if you use it throughout the day.
- Anti-fog, anti-scratch, and impact-resistant feature– Check as well if the goggles have anti-fog feature. This is important so you’ll be able to see clearly as you work in the laboratory. Go for anti-scratch and impact-resistant goggles so when a ball hit your eyes and face, you’ll be able to protect your eyes from possible harm.
- Price- Lab goggles price ranges from $5 to $15 and they are all made of good quality. Don’t buy goggles that are overly priced such as $30 to $50. There are also very expensive products, but unless it is made of gold, don’t buy it at all.
Remember not to buy lab goggles in sealed boxes without even trying them. Make sure to fit it first so you’ll know if it is the right product for you. If you are not still 100% sure of what to buy, do your own research or ask an expert to help you.
In sum, wearing lab goggles must become your habit as you work in laboratories. Some schools and industrial laboratories provide you with protective gears, but in case they don’t have any, you can check and buy the above-mentioned products as soon as possible. Take note as well the general features so you’ll know what to buy in the future.
Eye injuries are painful and can be a permanent disability. It may hinder our work and make our lives miserable. The only way to prevent such thing to happen is, of course, to protect yourself with an eye gear or a lab goggles.