Table of Contents
Accuracy when it comes to measurements is a really important factor in many different fields. From road creation, to architecture, to engineering, to even the simplest DIY projects, we all rely on our trusty measuring tools. But times are changing quickly, and so are the things we use to complete this important task. So, when making the jump from your tried-and-true tape measure to a high-tech laser measuring tool, there might be that initial hesitation, and lots more of follow-up questions that might keep you from going to your nearest hardware and upgrading.
Well, don’t you worry! We have compiled the top-rated laser measuring tools across the market, and we’ve also thrown in a few tips on what to look for to whittle down your selection and find the best tool for your project’s needs. Because upgrading your tools shouldn’t have to feel scary, and new doesn’t always mean complicated. Read on!
Foneso Digital Handheld Rangefinder
This tool is best for projects that require a longer range, as it can measure up to a whopping 328 feet! It also has a lot of different measurement modes (like Single-Distance Measurement, Continuous Measurement, and Area Measurement), and offers the units in either inches, decimal feet, standard feet, or metric units. Measurements are accurate to an eighth of an inch–talk about minding the small spaces! The smaller the inches of allowance there are, the better, as this gives you a near exact measurement.
It’s also great to use in dimly lit areas, because this tool has a back-lit display which increases the screen’s visibility in the dark. And since its dimensions are 5.6 x 3.6 x 2 inches (which is about the size and length of a grown man’s open hand), it’s really easy to carry around for any builder on the go.
Bosch GLM 35 Laser Measure
Smaller doesn’t always mean weaker, as proved by this laser measuring device. Made by one of the leading brands in hardware tools, this one comes with full features: distance, area, length, volume, continuous measurement, and even addition and subtraction! Measurements come at extreme accuracy, because its laser records up to 1/16 of an inch.
The size also doesn’t compromise the screen view because it has a back-lit display for low-light areas of work. With dimensions at a more compact 1.8 x 5.2 x 8 inches, this measuring tool is pocket-sized for convenience, measuring up to an impressive length of 120 feet. That’s pretty far for a handheld device! Also, it’s compatible with almost any tripod you need to attach it to.
DEWALT DW03050 Laser Distance Measure
For projects that require quick solving, this measuring tool will be your best bet. Aside from taking the standard length measurement, this device features automatic calculations for area and volume. And you won’t have to worry about measuring things that have an indirect height or missing angles–this comes equipped with an automatic calculation for missing distances using the Pythagorean formula. It reaches the maximum length measurement of 165 feet with accuracy that reaches 1/16 of an inch.
And you won’t have to worry about losing your previous measurements because this tool has a memory unit that stores the last five measurements made! Its screen also has a high-tech display with a 2-line back light. It also comes with 2 AAA batteries upon purchase, which is a total deal.
DMiotech Mini Handheld Laser Distance Measure
Sometimes mistakes in measurement are overlooked. If you want correct measurements in one swift go, this tool is the one for you. It has an automatic calculation of volume and area, plus it helps you keep track of missed measurements through its auto-correction and cutting edge error reporting technology. Measurements are taken quicker through only one button, and the units can switch from either feet, inches, or meters.
The LCD display is large for a laser tool device at the dimensions of 4.7 x 2 x 1.2 inches, and it has a back light to help you see clearly in harsh and dim lighting. It has a high accuracy of up to 1/16 of an inch, and measures up to an astounding 131 feet! What’s more is that once you get it, you also get 2 AAA batteries with your purchase so you won’t have to spend extra–just buy it, and it’s ready to use.
Bosch GLM 50C Bluetooth-Enabled Laser Distance Measure
If you’d like your laser measuring tool to be really high-tech and able to connect to multiple systems (like a phone or computer), then this will be a sure win with you. This measuring device is equipped with Bluetooth functionality, plus an inclinometer which can measure advanced elements like angles, minimum and maximum measurements, stake-out and double-indirect measurements. Its default measurement is in the real-time setting, which means it also records how distances move depending on its target.
The display is pretty sweet, too– it’s got an upgraded back-light with color display for higher visibility. It can measure up to 165 feet at maximum with 1/16 of an inch for accuracy. It’s also incredibly handy, because its dimensions are only 4.2 x 1.8 x 0.9 inches, meaning it’s small enough to fit into your shirt pocket! A bonus tip: when you do get this measuring tool, make sure to download free Bosch apps so it can also read documents and floor plans!
What to Look For
- “Are the inches accurate?” In all projects that require measuring tools, accuracy is a key element. You must choose the tool that covers all the length you need to see and take note of, so that you won’t have to redo measuring all over again. It may seem simple, but measuring things, whether you use the traditional tape measure or high-tech laser measuring tool, can get tedious and time consuming, especially when mistakes happen. Some projects also require no allowances in measurement (architecture, anyone?), so even 1/8th of an inch missed will matter. Choose a tool that will help you avoid such mistakes.
- “Can I see the screen clearly?” Of course, you’ll need a tool that makes it easier to see how much it has covered without giving you a hard time. There are some laser measuring tools that have screens that light up the first few times you use them, but fade in the long run. That’s when you know it’s not top-notch quality. A good laser measuring tool has screens that are easy to see in both harsh light (for morning or high noon use) and dim light (for evening use). No squinting whatsoever!
- “Is it easy to use?” A good laser measuring tool doesn’t require too much thinking to figure it out–after all, it was made to make its user’s life easier! It should have a simple layout of buttons that are large enough to see from arm’s length, with labels that are also easy to see. It should also have a stabilizing system, which helps the tool measure accurately despite slight movements of the material it is on. Some tools have lasers that don’t activate until the whole tool (and the surface!) is completely still, so minutes might be spent on stabilization alone.
- “How long can it measure?” A laser measuring tool must also be versatile when it comes to the lengths it can cover. This will all depend on the project that you have up your sleeve–if your project requires something with a longer range, opt for the tools that offer more than 120 feet or more, at minimum length. For projects that don’t need as much length, tools that can offer 100 feet at maximum will do just fine. Don’t be afraid to ask for assistance at hardware shops, when in doubt! A second opinion always helps to find you the perfect tool.
- “Is it durable?” Durability is another very important element to figuring out which tool to buy. Low-quality kinds offer products made of cheaper materials, so there’s the possibility of your laser measuring tool breaking apart in the middle of your work. Durability can also mean how long it will last you without having to run to a shop to repair it–sometimes, things are dropped on accident. You can’t help the force of gravity, but you can assure your money’s worth when you buy a measuring tool that can withstand a few bumps and scrapes against the wall or the ground.
We get it–nobody and nothing is perfect. But with the right tools, you can get your project results to near perfection! Your effort in creating different things that people might end up using one day deserves as much good help as possible, so make sure to sift through this list, and keep these tips in mind when you’re out buying your laser measurement tool. If the thought of upgrading seems a bit intimidating to you, don’t worry–think of your new measuring device as a sort of a grown-up laser beam that you can “play” with. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and rest easy knowing you invested in better tools for a better result. Best of luck!