Table of Contents
Measuring wheels are called by different names: surveyor’s wheel, perambulator, hodometer, trundle wheel, and clickwheel. It shows that people are not unfamiliar with the use of a measuring wheel and it is truly a premium at different industries. Measuring wheels are an important tool that takes the place of tapes and rulers when measuring larger areas or greater distances such as a field, a yard, or the road. It will not give you an exact reading down to the last centimeter or millimeter but will give you an approximation in feet and inches. Even if it is an approximation, precision still counts for a lot. These jobs may account for losing an inch or so but losing a couple of feet can make all the difference. A lot of careers have been made or broken by taking accurate measurements. You won’t always get to choose the surface you will measure in some jobs. Some terrain may be rough and uneven, some may be an upward incline, and others will show the effects of changing seasons.
To use a measuring wheel, you have to inspect it closely. The wheel must not have any dirt such as stones and gravel that can affect the smooth turning of the wheel. Put the wheel down at the exact spot where you want to start the measurement and then start walking at your natural pace, taking care that the wheel does not leave the ground. Once you reach the end, pick the wheel up to spot it from turning. You may now read the measurement on the counter. Modern wheels now have a feature that can subtract from the measurement if run backwards for easy correction.
Below is a list of some of the most in-demand measuring wheels on the internet and the features that make them measuring superstars.
TR Industrial Collapsible Measuring Wheel
The TR Industrial is one of the most convenient measuring wheels to use with its ergonomic handle positioned at an appropriate height. It rolls smoothly without any mechanical drag even on gravel, dirt, grass, uneven terrain, and can also measure corners.There are no surfaces too harsh for the TR Industrial’s stainless steel frame. The accuracy of the measuring wheel is clearly evident on the first use and will be consistent all throughout. It’s measuring dial is a reliable counter that is big and easy to read, it can be reset with one dedicated button. When outside, the 2 feet and 9 inches measuring wheel can be supported upright alone by its kickstand or can collapse into half its height (1 foot and 4 inches),and comes with a bag for storage or transport. It can measure in inches and feet and is very intuitive because it will automatically rewind or delete when you back up. It can measure up to 9,999 feet, with a spinning wheel of 1-foot in diameter.
Rolatape RT312 12-inch Measuring Wheel
The Rolatape prides itself of its lightweight yet durable aluminum build.The ergonomic pistol grip is a telescopic 3-section aluminum handle that can collapse or retract to adjust to the needs of the user. You may use the measuring wheel through mud, puddles, rain, snow, and even rough and uneven terrain. The counter reads in 1-inch increments and can measure up to 9,999 feet before it resets back to zero. The diameter of the wheel is 12 inches and may be rolled backwards to delete any measurement. It is very accurate and may be trusted with large measurements and will automatically stop measuring and spinning once it is lifted from the ground, unlike some units that will still spin a little. The unit itself can stationed upright alone with the support stand.
Keson Road Runner Measuring Wheel
The heavy duty precision-molded plastic wheel of the Keson Road Runner can endure years of heavy use in harsh conditions. It has a curved rubber pistol handle with a telescopic limb that will conform to the height of its user and keeps steering an effortless task. It has magnified counter for easy reading while the user is standing up and peering down. It reads a in five digits of feet and inches and a maximum reading of 9,999 feet. The Keson counter can subtract in reverse when rolled back. Like most measuring wheels, the Road Runner has a kickstand and also comes with a bag.
Calculated Industries Wheel Master Pro
What sets the the Wheel Master Pro from the competition is its balanced center line design. The handle is not set at an angle away from the center of the wheel which reduces the wrist, arm, shoulder and back fatigue of the user. Because of its balanced center of gravity, navigating and measuring the contours of an uneven terrain is easier and more accurate. The magnified counter can read up to 9,999 feet and 11 inches. The Wheel Master Pro has a refelctive safety tape, a flip-down kickstand, a built-in carrying handle, and a hand brake for precision. You can reset the counter two ways: a reset button on the pistol grip or on the counter below with your foot. From 38 inches, you can fold it to 19 inches and you may also store it in the free backpack case. The 12.5-inch diamter wheel is heavy duty with a gear-driven transmission.
Komelon Meter Man
The Komelon Meter Man looks different from majority of the measuring wheels, simply because it chooses to stand out with its design and accuracy. Measuring only 4 inches in diameter, the wheel is made for smooth surfaces and indoor measurements. It is the go-to tool of adjustors, appraisers, carpeters, decorators, insurance agents, realtors, and many others. Even of it is made for indoor use, the quality was not lowered nor compromised for this model. The wheel is made of ABS which is corrosion-resistant and the tread is polyvinyl for an improved traction. It has an adjustable twist and lock handle. This measuring wheel can measure to 9,999 feet before it automatically resets. It has a magnified counter with a one-push reset button.
It has already been establish that a measuring wheel can be used for a lot of different places. Job productivity and efficiency rely on precision. Here are some to demonstrate the fact.
- Construction sites – it doesn’t matter if it is an industrial, commercial, or residential construction, measuring areas and perimeters are one of the most important jobs that has to be done accurately. Measuring wheels have especially made it easier for large-scale jobs due to the simplicity and ease of its use.
- Interior design – designers always need the floor measurement of rooms to determine the layout and the furniture and fixtures to be placed within. Most of the time, the area of the floor is almost an exact same measurement of the room’s ceiling, and can also be helpful in determining ceiling design and fixtures. Carpeting and flooring companies need exact measurements to avoid wastage or shortage of materials and for a smoother work flow.
- Gardens and landscaping – gardens are tricky to measure with simple tools such as measuring tapes. They have a varied amount of rocks, stones, and soil that make the contours uneven. Planning the layout of a garden for the best growth and water distribution is a smart move and will be made easier by a measuring wheel. Landscapers often deal with larger patches of land to turn into gardens, driveways, mazes, or whatever grandiose idea strikes its owner.
- Roads and railways – although the two differ in terrain, roads and rails both need the services of an excellent measuring tool. Everyday transportation needs to be safe all year round starting at the date of its conception. Any mishaps can and may cause accidents.
- Courts, pools, and parks – these are some public or private places whose aesthetics that will benefit greatly from correct measurements.
- Utility and cable installations – whether it is installing cables at a home or re-wiring a whole area, correct measurements matter since pipes, cables, and wires are materials that you do not just cut and connect on a whim.
- Surveying – towns and cities and the roads in between need to be measured for public record and map-making. Distances are very useful for traveling and urban planning, among other things.
Measuring wheels can easily be trusted when made by a reputable company known to use top-grade materials such as aluminum, stainless steel, fiber glass, and rubber. The handles must be straight, lightweight and attached firmly to the wheel. The wheel, on the other hand, must turn smoothly. It should be not too light or have no traction at all that it will turn freely even when the tool is picked up from the ground. Depending on your preference, you may choose to have a digital or an analog counter. A measuring wheel with a stand is preferred for support so that you can leave it upright and not have the wheel turn or leave its place when you need to take your hand off the tool.
Measuring wheels are more important than we do realize. Our whole town, cities, and roads are built on measurements. Our safety and convenience is a result of measuring precision. You know you and your projects are in good hands when you or the company has the top tier measuring tools. A measuring wheel eliminates all the hassle and inaccuracies of using tapes and rulers for larger and uneven areas.