Food plays an important role in our lives. We prepare food for our family and loved ones every Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines, and even Birthdays. Meat is one of the specialties that makes our celebrations merrier and lovelier. Since then, we always get excited to go home and taste a big and delicious roasted turkey, pork, chicken or beef on our tables!
In any event, food preparation is crucial. One essential kitchen tool that we have is a set of meat knives. Meat knives come in different types such as carving, slicing, crushing, and boning.
Meat carving knife is a large knife but is thinner than a regular chef’s knife. We use it to cut precise slices of meat off its bones and cartilages without tearing it, thus it is very popular in all kitchen today. This type of knife helps us reduce meat waste which a normal knife can’t achieve. Once you get used to a meat carving knife, you will never use any other type of knife in all your kitchen activities.
Check out these meat carving knives that you can try for your next meat specialty at home:
Mercer Cutlery Genesis Carving Knife
The Mercer Cutlery Genesis 8-inch Carving Knife offers ‘Ergonomic Santoprene’ handle. This is indeed useful whenever we prepare greasy meat products in our kitchen because it assures non-slippage. With this type of knife, we can accurately cut the meat even if our hands are wet and oily.
This meat carving knife can also withstand any type of temperature, may it be hot or cold. It is made up of high-carbon, forged German steel and a bolster that can provide balance in the handle of the knife. The edge is taper-ground thus it can cut cleanly on a variety of food.
Finally, the Mercer carving knife has been certified by National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) and has been a partner of almost all culinary academy and professionals for years.
ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Four-Star Carving Knife
One of the four-star series of ZWILLING J.A. Henckels is the 8-inch meat carving knife.
This meat carving knife has awesome features such as having the SIGMAFORGE one-piece which provides non-stain and non-rust on the blade. With this, the knife stays sharper for a long period of time even with constant use.
The knife weighs 5.4 ounces and is made of high-carbon and no stain steel which J.A. Henckels takes pride of. The handles are made of polypropylene and have a super bolster too that enables balance.
Overall, the company has been around since 1731 and their meat carving knife has been used by experts since 1970s. This is indeed an impressive kitchen tool which you can try immediately.
Ergo Chef Crimson Series Carving Knife
The Ergo Chef has its very popular Crimson Series. It has an 8-inch meat carving knife that can be used to cut thin and smooth the hot and cold meat cuts.
The blades are made from high-carbon, German stainless steel that is why it has higher stain resistance. Meanwhile, its handle is made from G10 fiberglass and the company says that it is custom made for their very unique product. In addition, the handle seems an elegant wood which also offers comfort to whoever uses the knife. The product also weighs 6.4 ounces and is very easy to handle.
Ergo Chef carving knife is made from China and Chinese cutlery has been competitive in the market for many years.
Wusthof Classic Carving Knife
If you are looking for a simple and classic German knife, the Wusthof meat carving knife must be on top of your list! This 9-inch Wusthof meat carving knife is best for cutting big meat such as turkeys, lambs, and beef. The knife weighs 5.9 ounces and is made of high carbon steel. Food won’t stick for too long on the blade whenever you cut it. The handle is made of triple riveted full tang synthetic handle, which is safe to handle and can be washed from time to time.
Many homes are using this type of knife because it has a myriad of usage and it is easy to sharpen too. The Wusthof meat carving knife can be costly in comparison to other knives, but it is a good investment because you can be able to use the knife for a long period of time.
Shun Classic Carving Knife
This 8-inch meat carving knife is manufactured in Japan, the land of the traditional samurai sword also known as ‘Katana.’ The Shun products are famous in having beautiful and sharp knife blades just like ‘Katana’.
The Shun classic carving knife is made of VG-10 which is 32 layers of high carbon Japanese super steel. It is corrosion-resistant and known to be sharper than European knives. Moreover, the Shun knife has D-shaped Pakkawood handle which adds comfort and confidence to whoever uses the knife.
Apart from its amazing features, the Shun meat carving knife is also NSF Certified. This is one of the must-try knives in the market which can last almost a lifetime!
What to Look For
Aside from the meat carving knife products, it is also important to look for several features, so you will be guided in your next shop. Proper research is important before spending your money on these kitchen tools, so you will not waste resources, effort, and time. If you have never used or never seen a meat carving knife before, you must not skip this part:
- Weight- Choose carving knives that are not too heavy and not too light. Make sure that you can handle it just right and you will be comfortable holding it even for long period of time. Remember, carving knives are sharp and if you have handled it inappropriately, you will surely get yourself in trouble. You may get cuts on your hand or your hand may get numb. Choose knives made with one piece of steel so you will be able to balance it. Keep away plastic and wooden handles because it may get damaged in the long run.
- Blade material– The material of the blade of meat carving knife is an important feature to look out for. Knives in the market nowadays are made of various materials such as steel, carbon steel, alloy steel, chrome steel, stainless steel, titanium, and even ceramics. Today’s knife materials are categorized into low-end, mid-range, premium and high-end. Even if it is categorized this way, it does not mean that a high-end material is the best. Look out for the hardness, toughness, edge retention and wear and corrosion resistance of the carving knife. Nowadays, tool steel, carbon steel, and stainless steel are widely used in meat carving knives so you can opt to choose these materials.
- Flexibility- Look for a flexible blade so you can be able to cut meat near the bones and the cartilages without tearing it. A flexible blade must be thin, long and slightly curved; just like the majority of meat carving knife. In addition, flexible blades are easy to manipulate too.
- Length– The length of the carving knife is an important consideration too in buying. If you want to cut large chunks of meat, then you may buy a longer knife. However, if you are just a starter and does not use carving knife most of the time; you can also opt to buy a medium or shorter knife. However, for those who love cooking, you can also buy different knives of various length. But just be careful to keep safe every knife that you own.
- Maintenance-The maintenance costs must also be put into consideration when you are planning to buy a meat carving knife. A high-quality knife has high maintenance costs, whereas a low-quality knife has low or does not need any maintenance at all. Make sure that you consider this feature too so you won’t get problems in your knife in the long run.
- Price- The last feature is, of course, the price. Buy knives according to your finances and according to your needs. If you are into culinary, then a high-quality carving knife can be of importance to you. High-end knives from well-known brands can enable you to spend hundreds of dollars whereas low-quality knives can cost only $20-$50.
These are some of the features of a meat carving knife that you must be aware of. There are also other factors to consider and be sure to weight those factors accordingly. Lastly, the decision to buy a knife will always be up to you. If you are not 100% sure of your next purchase, don’t hesitate to ask for help from an expert.
In sum, food preparation is important in achieving desired nutrition for your loved ones. We can successfully bring out the best meal for our family if we are using the appropriate tools in our kitchen.
The above-mentioned meat carving knives are some of the various knives the market offers. It could be costly yet it could be an important investment inside your home.
A simple knife can make a difference in your next big cuisine! Who knows, this knife can bring out the best in your next meat dish!