Table of Contents
Getting the best metal shears is important when you work with metal. Regardless, if you do this often or occasionally. The right metal shears can make your job easier and faster. This efficiency lends to better results that you can rely on every time you need it.
Indeed, any do-it-yourself or expert repairperson is familiar with the frustration brought on by not having the best metal shears to work with. As per their experience, even the simplest task becomes harder and takes longer to finish.
However, finding the right metal shears to satisfy your needs is not a simple task. Nowadays, the market offers a wide selection of this particular tool. This can be overwhelming for anyone who doesn’t know what to look for. We highlight the best metal shears sold to date. This will provide you with a good idea of what to look out for when shopping for your own tool.
Malco TSHD Turboshear Heavy-Duty
The Malco TSHD Turboshear Heavy-Duty promises durability that you can depend on. The TSHD is suited for sheet metal. Hence, it can capably cut through 18 gauge mild and galvanized steel. Likewise, it does a good job of cutting sheet metals, both ferrous and non-ferrous, steel mesh, metal roofing, and building panels.
Thicker metal sheets such as a 20-gauge spiral duct, automotive body panels, or furnace jackets are not a problem as well. You’re also not limited to straight cuts if you use the Malco TSHD Turboshear Heavy-Duty. Indeed, recent improvements to its design will enable you to cut tight patterns or make square cuts when necessary. You can even use it if for cutting curves.
A power drill or impact driver is required to use the Malco TSHD Turboshear Heavy-Duty. It’s compatible with a 14.4-volt or a bigger A/C. It can also work with a cordless drill. Simply insert it into the chuck of your power drill. In no time, your power shear is ready to use. You’ll certainly feel like an expert when using this.
The product measures 16 x 8 x 2.2 inches and weighs 2.6 pounds. The TSHD Turboshear Heavy-Duty comes with a lifetime warranty.
Stanley FatMax 14-563 9-7/8-Inch Straight Cut Aviation Snip
Every toolbox should include the Stanley FatMax 14-563 9-7/8-Inch Straight Cut Aviation Snip. Indeed, this tool comes in handy when you need it. Both amateurs and professionals can appreciate its convenience.
The Stanley FatMax 14-563 9-7/8-Inch Straight Cut Aviation Snip can cut straight through 18 gauge steel, aluminum or copper sheets. It can easily manage up to 23 gauge as well. At the same time, you can use it for vinyl siding, screening, cardboard, and leather.
Its bi-material cushion grip provides added comfort while you work. At the same time, it ensures you have a firm hold on the tool. For greater convenience, its blades have serrated cutting edges. This helps secure the material you’re cutting as it prevents it from slipping.
The blades are made of forged chrome molybdenum steel. So, rest assured you can get a lot of use out of it for a long time. The latch on the Stanley FatMax 14-563 9-7/8-Inch Straight Cut Aviation Snip serves as an added safety feature. However, you simply need to squeeze its handles to release it and start cutting. The product measures 12.6 x 3.2 x 1.3 inches and weighs 3.8 ounces. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Wiss M3R MetalMaster Left and Right Cut Compound Action Snip
The Wiss M3R MetalMaster Left, and Right Cut Compound Action Snip lets you take on jobs that require more than just a straight cut. It can withstand extreme pressure brought on by repeated lever action. This is all thanks to its molybdenum steel blades. As a result, you can easily cut through carbon steel as thick as 18 gauge.
Its solid construction guarantees little to no defects in every cut you make. So you won’t see any dead spots or excess burrs. Hence, you can expect it to get the job done well.
For your added convenience, the Wiss M3R MetalMaster Left, and Right Cut Compound Action Snip has textured grips. This ensures you have a firm hold on the tool as you work. The latch is an extra safety feature. It’s spring action that gives you great leverage with every cut you make. So it’s manageable for those who suffer from carpal tunnel.
The product measures 10 x 3 x 1.2 inches and weighs 12.8 ounces. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Malco TS1 Turbo Shear 20 Gauge Capacity Sheet Metal Cutting Attachment
The Malco TS1 Turbo Shear 20 Gauge Capacity Sheet Metal Cutting Attachment is fit for 3/8 inch power drills. Simply insert it into the chuck and you’re ready to start working with it. Hence, you instantly have powerful metal shears that can cut through galvanized steel with a thickness of 20 gauge.
You’ll also have no problems using the Malco TS1 Turbo Shear 20 Gauge Capacity Sheet Metal Cutting Attachment when cutting other types of metals. These include metal roofing, steel mesh, and even furnace jackets.
Straight and left cuts aren’t a problem with this attachment. So, you can easily make tight patterns with curves or create squares if you have to.
These power metal shears is a worthy alternative to doing it by hand. The product measures 0.1 x 7 x 2 inches and weighs 1.6 pounds. However, its TSDC drill clamp is sold separately.
Kawasaki 840358 Black 4 Amp Metal Shear
Buying the Kawasaki 840358 Black 4 Amp Metal Shear won’t disappoint you as it delivers on its promise well. Indeed, you don’t have to worry about having the right metal shears for any project you want to take on, whether for work or at home.
With its powerful 4.0 amps, the Kawasaki 840358 Black 4 Amp Metal Shear can cut through sheet or corrugated metal easily. It works very well on aluminum, stainless steel, and heavy gauge duct. You can cut straight or use it to make turns by simply pivoting the tool as you cut. The product measures 3 x 11.6 x 9 inches and weighs 4.5 pounds.
What to Look For
Regardless of how often you intend to use them, having the best metal shears will come in handy, eventually, when you need them. Hence, your search for the best metal shears should meet these standards so as not to be a waste of your time and money.
- Manual or power – When looking for metal shears, you have the option to get a manual pair or opt for powers shears that you attach to a drill. Typically, hobbyists would likely choose a manual pair of metal shears. These would come in handy for crafts or even small jobs around the house. One advantage of manual metal shears is its affordability compared to power shears. On the other hand, if you’re looking for speed then power shears could very well suit your needs. So, it means you can get more work done in lesser time.
- Blade – It’s important to check the quality of the blade when considering metal shears. The material should be durable. This means it can stand up to constant pressure as you cut. A poor blade won’t stand up to such abuse and you might end up throwing it away after several uses. The quality of the blade will also guarantee you a clean cut every time. Hence, you get minimal burrs, folds, or dead spots with every cut.
- Versatility – It’s also best to have metal shears that can cut a wide range of metals. This means you can use it for stainless steel or aluminum without a problem. Good metal shears should also be able to handle a minimum thickness of 18 gauge and preferably cut up to 23 gauge without showing signs of wear after a few snips. You should also take into consideration the kind of cuts you need to make. Do you need it to make straight cuts or do you want to have one that can turn curves with ease?
- Safety – Working with metal can be dangerous if you’re not careful. Hence, it’s best to get tools that provide additional precautions to ensure your safety as you work. It’s a good idea to select metal shears made by a reputable brand. This guarantees the product is in accordance with the standards set by law. Moreover, it assures you of the product’s quality construction and durability.
- Price – How much are you willing to spend for metal shears? Keep in mind you can get inexpensive metal shears. However, its quality might not live up to your expectations. Alternatively, you can opt to spend more. But how often do you intend to use it after buying it? Will you get as much mileage out of it to make the cost worth your while?
Every handyman or do-it-yourself enthusiast should have their own metal shears as part of their toolbox. Buying the best to suit your needs can be easy if you take into consideration these factors namely manual or power, blade, versatility, safety, and price. In doing so, you can rest assured you will get the best metal shears to suit your needs and it could possibly do more for you in the long run.