Table of Contents
We use different kinds of tools when we measure a physical quantity such as the weight of the rice, the distance of the floor to the wall and the volume of the water in the tank. In the ancient times, our forefathers use their body parts such as their arms and hands to measure distance. As science evolved, people have established a standard measuring technique what we call now as the metric system. This system made measuring possible that paved for the inventions of several products. It was adopted to the whole world which helped people in their everyday lives.
One of the measuring equipment we have right now is protractor. Protractors were first used in marine navigation in the 1500s. They have used it to prepare charts and maps in the sea so their journey will be safe. People have also used protractors in other fields such as in construction and engineering, and it has been used as a learning instrument in our schools nowadays.
A protractor is used to measure angles in degrees. It is usually made of transparent plastic or glass for easy measurement. It is available in different size and shape such as the 180-degree protractor, bevel protractor, 360-degree protractor, and 400-degree protractor.
Check out some of the protractors available in the market:
General Tools 17 Head Metal Protractor
Are you looking for a sturdy protractor? Then you can try the General Tools 17 head metal protractor. The General Tools company has been providing measuring tools and equipment for construction since the 1930s. Their products are made of high-quality materials.
This protractor is made of stainless steel, it has 2 inches of square head and it has 6 inches adjustable arm to make easy measuring in any position. Since it is made of steel, the product can last for a long time, unlike any other brands. It has a graduation of 0 to 180 degrees and it measures 3 3/8 inches.
The product dimension is 12.5″ x 3.9″ x 1.6″ and weighs about 3.7 ounces. It is a tool mostly used by professional draftsmen, engineers, architects, and even students. For hassle-free measurement; make sure to put this on top of your list!
Fiskars Plastic Swing Arm Protractor
Another item to try is the Fiskars plastic swing arm protractor. Fiskars is a company that provides tools for gardening, cooking, and even in arts and crafts. They have branches in almost all countries in the world even in the United States.
This protractor is available in one pack or two packs of 6 inches protractor. It is recommended for students who take math classes. It is also available in different colors and it is made in plastic. You can easily read the measurement on this tool. It comes with a swing arm, for guided measurement too.
The product dimension is 4″ x 0.2″ x 7.6″ and weighs 0.6 ounces. This comes in handy and can fit all sizes of pouches. This is a must have school supply for your children who wanted to learn more about angles in school!
Westcott 6-Inch Plastic 180 Degree Protractor
Westcott also offers protractor! Westcott company offers a wide range of office and school supplies such as scissors, glue guns, erasers, rulers, accessories, and math tools such as protractors.
Their protractor is made of plastic, thus you can clearly see and read the numbers on it. The product dimension is 8.1″ x 0.1″ x 4.4″ and weighs about 0.8 ounces. It also comes in different colors such as light green and blue.
This plastic protractor is lightweight and it can fit your pouches or case. Make sure to grab one now and start making your angles at school.
Maped Helix Swing Arm 6 inch Protractor
Are you looking for a shatter-resistant protractor? Then you can try the Maped Helix swing arm 6 inches protractor. Maped is a French company that aims to provide unique school and office supplies around the world. Kids, parents and even professionals love using Maped products.
This 180-degree protractor is shatter-resistant which means the item is kept from breaking into pieces when it is dropped on the floor. It is available in assorted color and it also includes an arm or a ruler for easy measurement. The product dimension is 8.5″ x 0.3″ x 5.8″ and weighs about 1.8 ounces only.
This is a cheap product with the standard quality for your kids at school, so make sure to check one now!
Learning Advantage Dry Erase Magnetic Protractor
Are you looking for a protractor for your next math lesson? Then you can try the Learning Advantage dry erase magnetic protractor. Learning Advantage has been providing standard teaching tools for instructor since 2001.
This protractor is made of plastic and magnet and it can be put in whiteboard to illustrate lessons to the students. You can put markings around it for easy reference and it can easily be erased. The product dimension is 15.2″ x 1.2″ x 7.8″ and weighs about 3.2 ounces.
Professors can now interact with their students during math lessons using this magnetic protractor! Check one now and there will be no boring math classes in the future!
What to Look For
Protractors come in different sizes, shapes, and materials used. You can search for a good product on the internet or ask help from a professional. Check out some of the general features to look for in buying protractor so you’ll be guided in your next shop:
- Materials-The first feature to check is the materials. Protractors are made of different materials such as wood, glass, magnet, stainless steel, and plastic. Choose materials based on your need. If you would like a quality protractor that can last for long period of time, then you can opt to buy stainless steel protractor. But if you are buying protractor for one semester of math lessons, then you can use a plastic one.
- Purpose- The next feature is the purpose. Make sure to buy protractors based on where are you going to use it. If you are a teacher and would like to use a protractor on your next math lesson, then a stainless steel or a magnetic protractor is the right product for you. If you are searching for a protractor for work purposes, choose one with quality materials such as glass or plastic and with a long arm swing. If you are a student which was asked to bring a protractor, you can opt to buy lightweight and cheap version.
- Color- Protractors are available in different colors such as blue, yellow, light green, light red, pink, and transparent. Make sure to buy products that are luminescent, which means you can be able to see the lines and the measurement at the protractor even if it has colors.
- Design- Protractors are available in different sizes, shapes, and designs. The 180-degree protractors are half disk while the 360-degree protractor is shaped as a whole circle. There is also a set square with integrated protractors. This is used to provide straight edge or lines while creating angles. On the other hand, bevel protractors can be useful too in almost all crafts. Bevel protractors come with arm swing, beam, graduated dial, and a blade. Remember to choose designs based on your needs.
- Weight and size- Protractors are usually lightweight for easy measuring. It is available as well in different sizes such as small and large one. Students of math classes sometimes use small protractors so they can manipulate it easily when doing their homework. Instructors can use magnetic protractors which are bigger and a little heavy, but it can still be lifted and shown to the class.
- Price- Protractors’ price ranges from $4 to $12 only depending on size and materials used. It also comes in packs of 2, 4, or 6 depending on the needs of the customers. Don’t buy overpriced products which offer the same results, you’ll just waste your money on it. Choose products wisely and if possible, research on the internet about it’s manufacturer before buying.
- Markings- Protractors are designed to measures angles in both directions. There are protractors marked in radian and degrees. Make sure that every marking are clear and it has a precise measurement. Check if the markings are readable, and if it is blurred or not clear then just don’t buy it.
In sum, measuring equipment is important in our daily life. We use it to build our home, to create a beautiful dress to wear, to cook food, and to learn. Protractors are used in most mechanical and engineering systems and schools require students to have one so they can understand lessons in mathematics.
Protractors are one of the best inventions and if not for it, we won’t be able to have skyscrapers, transportation, and even gadgets today. Encourage your siblings, children, and friends to use and understand the benefits of using protractors. You can check some of the products above-mentioned. Orient yourself as well with the features so you’ll be guided in your next shop for office and school supplies. It has been used for hundreds of years, and it will still be useful even in the next years to come.