Table of Contents
Getting the best raised toilet seat gives you the necessary lift to use the bathroom comfortably. Toilet seats are typically low in height. This becomes a big issue for the elderly as their mobility isn’t what it used to be.
Thus, sitting down or standing up ends up becoming a chore. Quite often it’s because they lack the strength to lift themselves up. This could be due to weak knees and poor upper body strength. Their lessening ability to balance as they sit or stand is also risky. They could end up falling in the process.
By using the best raised toilet seat, you don’t need to bend down a lot. At the same time, you don’t have to struggle too much to stand upright. So, there’s lesser chance that you’ll lose your balance and fall. Apart from providing safety, the best raised toilet seat also affords independence.
Oftentimes, the elderly require constant care. While it’s necessary, it’s not always welcome especially when you want privacy in the bathroom. So, using a raised toilet seat helps you sit comfortably and securely. Likewise, people with disability can also benefit from using a raised toilet seat.
Today’s market offers a wide range of products in this category. However, given that it’s a product meant for use by the elderly and the disabled, it’s best to exercise caution when it comes to making a selection. Indeed, there’s a lot to be considered based on your specific needs.
To give you an idea of what you can find on the market thus far, we feature the top products in this category. Find out what each has to offer and what qualifies them to be one of the best raised toilet seats sold to date.
Drive Medical Premium Seat Riser with Removable Arms
Drive Medical delivers a premium quality raised toilet seat equipped with removable padded arms. Thus, you have the option to use the arms or take them off depending on your preference or spatial limitations.
The seat is made of heavy-duty plastic so it’s durable. Moreover, it’s easy to clean. To use, simply place it on top of the toilet bowl. There’s no need to use any tools to do this.
You can reuse your present toilet seat and lid by attaching it to the Drive Medical Premium Seat Riser with Removable Arms. The product measures 18 x 14.5 x 8 inches and weighs 1.3 pounds. It can support up to 300 pounds.
AquaSense Portable Raised Toilet Seat
The AquaSense Portable Raised Toilet Seat is 4 inches in height and made of hard plastic. Thus, it’s easy to clean. At the same time, it’s lightweight. Moreover, you can possibly take it with you if you plan to travel.
Its size can fit the standard commode bowl. Its heavy duty construction can support up to 400 pounds. The product measures 15 x 15 x 4 inches and weighs 1.5 pounds.
Drive Medical Elevated Raised Toilet Seat with Removable Padded Arm
The Drive Medical Elevated Raised Toilet Seat comes equipped with padded arms. However, these are removable in case you don’t need them. Moreover, you don’t need to use extra tools to take them off. This product provides an additional height of 5 inches to make it easier for you to sit and stand.
The Drive Medical Elevated Raised Toilet Seat weighs 1.9 pounds. It’s sturdy enough to support up to 300 pounds. Its durable construction makes it convenient to use every day. It locks securely in place. Simply turn the marked knob in the front to secure it. It can fit nearly any toilet. The product measures 22 x 19 x 8 inches.
The product is available in two styles. Depending on your existing toilet’s shape, you can choose between an elongated seat and a standard seat.
Yunga Tart Raised Toilet Seat
The distinct design of the Yunga Tart Raised Toilet Seat offers a wider surface. As a result, you get greater comfort and a more stable seat. To use, simply place it directly on the toilet with the seat raised. The Yunga Tart Raised Toilet Seat fits any shape of toilet be it round, elongated, or compact elongated.
The bottom is equipped with four pieces of non-skid pads to help secure it in place. Recessed areas in the front and back of the Yunga Tart Raised Toilet Seat to make it easier to reach in when washing. This product is portable, which makes it ideal to use after surgery while you’re recovering at home.
The Yunga Tart Raised Toilet Seat measures 16 x 5.8 x 15.5 inches and weighs 3 pounds. It can support up to 275 pounds.
Essential Medical Supply Toilet Seat Riser
The Toilet Seat Riser from Essential Medical Supply can support up to 250 pounds. This product comes in two sizes, Elongated and Standard. Take note, there is a price difference between the two options.
Each purchase of the Essential Medical Supply Toilet Seat Riser comes with long screws. You’ll use these to install it underneath the existing toilet seat of your bowl. When installed, you’ll get an additional 3.5 inches of height. The product measures 18 x 3.5 x 13 inches.
What to look for
As a product catering to the elderly, you’ll need to be precise in your selection of the best raised toilet seat. We highlight the qualities you need to look for in this product. By doing so, you can make a thorough evaluation to assess if a particular product will suit your specific requirements.
- Height – The height of a raised toilet seat can range from 2 inches, 3 inches, 3.5 inches, and 4 inches. You can also get a taller seat measuring 5 inches up to 6 inches. The extra elevation helps to lessen the amount of effort you’ll exert in order to sit or stand from the toilet. It’s important to choose a height that will let your knees maintain about a 90-degree angle to the floor. At the same time, you should be able to plant your feet flat. Too high and you risk falling over as your feet aren’t planted firmly on the floor. Too low and it wouldn’t serve its purpose at all. To get an estimate of the height you need, sit on a chair wherein your knees are at a 90-degree angle and your feet are flat on the floor. Measure the height from the seat to the floor then measure the height of the toilet seat sans the cover to the floor. Subtract the second measurement from the first. The remainder should give you the approximate height you need for the raised toilet seat.
- Shape – Prior to looking for the best raised toilet, it’s necessary to check your own toilet to find out what shape it is. Remember, not all toilets are built the same. Some are elongated while others have a round opening. Hence, it’s best to choose a product that’s appropriate in order for it to fit perfectly into your existing fixture. The last thing you want is to find out you can’t use your raised toilet seat because it won’t fit into your bathroom fixture. While it might be tempting to try and find a way to still use it even it doesn’t fit well, it’s best not to force it. Otherwise, you risk falling over because it’s not secured.
- Locking Mechanism – You have a choice of getting a temporary non-locking raised toilet seat or one that’s permanently locked in. Your choice would depend on how long you intend to use the raised toilet seat. If you’re using it as an aid for your post-surgery recovery then you might consider one that’s not permanent. This allows you to take it off once you regain full mobility. However, for the elderly, chances are you’ll require a permanent fixture. This means you don’t have to bother with putting it on and taking it off every time you use the toilet.
- Added features – Some raised toilet seats also have additional features that enhance their function. You’ll have the option to choose one that’s equipped with arms. These provide added support so the user has something to hold on while sitting or standing. However, the choice to get one with arms depends on the person’s mobility. If it’s necessary for the person to hold the arms tightly then this poses a risk. The added weight could cause the entire raised toilet seat to flip over. For elderly men with prostate or weight issues, it might be worth considering getting a raised toilet seat that’s equipped with a peri-area fit. This ensures their genitals will fit properly on the seat. Some seats are padded while others are not. Check the quality of the padding to make sure it doesn’t flatten quickly after just several uses. The molded varieties are supposedly easier to clean than padded ones.
- Weight – Consider the weight of the person who will use the raised toilet seat. Make sure the weight capacity of the product you plan to buy can fully support their weight.
Choosing the best raised toilet seat won’t be difficult provided you take into account these factors while shopping. To begin with, consider the height and weight of the person who will use it. Afterward, assess the shape and locking mechanism of each product.
It’s also a good idea to consider what added features a raised toilet seat product has to offer. Perhaps it would be highly beneficial to consider getting such a model. To help you further, remember to check out these top products in this category. One of them could have the qualities you’re looking for in the best raised toilet seat.