Table of Contents
The best receiving blanket is a godsend for every new mother. In fact, a receiving blanket is one of the first items you’ll likely get when preparing for your baby’s arrival. It’s initially used as the first blanket that you wrap your baby in.
The construction of the baby blanket helps to preserve body heat. This is important for the newborn baby’s health. Without it, they lose the necessary calories they will need to start growing.
These days, the receiving blanket has evolved into so much more. It’s now become a product that seems to be able to do it all. Moreover, it can do so at a moment’s notice. Indeed, it’s there when you need it. Apart from swaddling your baby, you can use a receiving blanket as a changing mat. It can also function as a nursing shawl. After feeding, it can eventually serve as a burping cloth.
It seems there’s nothing a receiving blanket cannot do. However, choosing the best the market has to offer can be difficult. Chances are it’ll overwhelm you especially if you’re a new mother trying to navigate the diverse world of baby products.
With so many brands offering the same product, how do you know which one will suit your needs perfectly? Receiving blankets come in a variety of materials, sizes, and shapes. Your decision won’t come easy as you definitely want only the best receiving blanket to touch your precious one.
To give you a better idea of what’s available on the market to date, we highlight the top products in this category. Each product has something distinct to offer and that’s why they are part of the list. Learn why one of them could be what you want in the best receiving blanket.
Luvable Friends Flannel 4 Piece Receiving Blankets
The Luvable Friends Flannel 4 Piece Receiving Blankets are a practical choice for mothers and their babies. At the same time, they’re stylish and fun designs make them adorable additions to the nursery. They’re also easy to take along in case you and the baby have somewhere to go.
Each package contains four pieces of receiving blankets, all of which are made from 100% flannel cotton. These multi-use blankets are ideal for infants up to 1 year of age. Each piece measures 28 x 28 inches.
The Luvable Friends Flannel 4 Piece Receiving Blankets is available in 19 colors. Some of the choices include Sailboat, Floral, Pink Dots, and Elephant, to name a few. You can choose a gender specific design or opt for a neutral style.
Hudson Baby 2 Count Muslin Swaddle Blanket
The Hudson Baby 2 Count Muslin Swaddle Blanket is bigger than your average receiving blanket. It has a generous size of 46 x 46 inches. This means you’ll have enough material to sufficiently cover your baby without having a hard time doing it.
Moreover, it can double as your stroller cover. You can even use it in lieu of a nursing shawl. It’s made of 100% cotton so it’s breathable to put over your baby while feeding.
Each package contains 2 pieces of receiving blankets. The set offers a contrasting solid and printed design. Thus, they’re fashionable and functional at the same time. The Hudson Baby 2 Count Muslin Swaddle Blanket is also the ideal baby shower gift and it doesn’t require extra wrapping.
Luvable Friends Flannel Receiving Blankets
You can never have enough receiving blankets. Hence, with the Luvable Friends Flannel Receiving Blankets you get 5 pieces at once. Made of 100% flannel cotton, each piece measures 28 x 28 inches. So, it’s ideal for babies from 0 to 12 months old.
The Luvable Friends Flannel Receiving Blankets is available in 8 colors. Choose from Camel, Giraffe, Yellow Pinwheel, Blue Birds and Trees, Blue Pinwheel, Pink Pinwheel, Rhino, and Yellow Pinwheel. So you can get a specific design for a boy or girl. On the other hand, if you plan to give it as a gift, you can also get a gender neutral print and color.
Margaux & May Muslin Swaddle Blankets
You’ll likely fall in love with the Margaux & May Muslin Swaddle Blankets for several reasons. To begin with, it’s exceptionally soft. Made of 100% organic muslin, it feels luxurious on the skin. While it might be thicker than other products of the same fabric, it remains breathable because of its open weave construction.
The fabric also gets softer with every wash. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about it shrinking or losing its shape. Hence, you’ll enjoy its generous size of 47 x 47 inches for a long time and use it for a wide range of purposes.
Each pack of the Margaux & May Muslin Swaddle Blankets contains 2 pieces. The product is available in 3 colors. Take your pick from Dandelion, Red, or Blue & Green.
Ziggy Baby Muslin Baby Swaddle Blankets
The Ziggy Baby Muslin Baby Swaddle Blankets are 100% cotton muslin so you’re certain they’re soft. Moreover, it’s lightweight and breathable so they’re just perfect for a newborn baby.
Compared to other receiving blankets, the Ziggy Baby Muslin Baby Swaddle Blankets is overly generous when it comes to size. Each piece measures 48 x 48 inches. Hence, it can do more than just swaddle your baby. It can also function as a pram cover, security blanket, or burp cloth.
The manufacturer is confident about their product. Hence, they offer a No Questions Asked Return Policy in case you’re not fully satisfied. However, with everything the Ziggy Baby Muslin Baby Swaddle Blankets has to offer it seems unlikely that it will disappoint you.
What to look for
As a mother, you only want the best for your baby. So you’ll likely want to go over each detail of a product with a fine tooth comb. To help you in your search, we list the top qualities you should look for in the best receiving blanket. By taking each factor into consideration, you’ll stand a better chance of finding the right one that meets your specific needs.
- Fabric – Receiving Blankets can be made using a wide variety of fabrics. So apart from the basic cotton material, you can even go as luxurious as knit fleece. You can also choose between muslin, wool, chenille, or organic fabric. Naturally, you want something that’s going to make your baby feel comfortable. However, it’s best to remember that baby’s skin can be sensitive. Thus, consider whether the fabric of the product you’re considering won’t adversely affect them. Sometimes, a baby might be allergic to certain types of materials. In addition, the type of fabric you select would also influence the weight and thickness of the receiving blanket. A heavy and thick fabric could cause your baby to overheat when swaddled in it. On the other hand, a fabric that’s too thin and light might not provide sufficient coverage to keep your baby warm.
- Application – Technically, a receiving blanket is meant for newborns. However, the function of this product has evolved into so much more. Indeed, today’s receiving blanket can take on a variety of jobs. So, it can likely transition from one function to the next as your baby is growing.
- Design – Like most baby products, the design of a receiving blanket can be gender specific. Indeed, you can get a pattern for your little girl or boy. At the same time, you can get a gender neutral blanket. If you’re attending a baby shower party and don’t know the sex of the baby then this would be an ideal gift choice.
- Size – The receiving blanket is meant for swaddling. Thus, you want to have one that’s big enough to hold your baby. The typical size is 36 x 36 inches. However, you can get one that’s smaller about 28 x 28 inches. Another standard size for a receiving blanket would be 30 x 40 inches. Interestingly, you can also get generously sized receiving blankets that measure 40 x 40 inches and also 42 x 42 inches. So, when choosing a size you’ll have to take into account the size of your baby. This is because you want the blanket to be twice the length of your baby.
- Care – Taking care of a baby is a full-time job. Thus, you want a product that’s easy to care for. So it would be nice if it’s safe to just throw it into the washing machine. However, while it might be convenient to just add it to your next load, make sure to check the edges. The last thing you want is to have the edges fray or to get a loose thread that will cause your blanket to unravel.
- Feedback – It’s also a good idea to check out reviews of products to find out what other mothers think of it. More often than not, mothers are eager to share their own experiences when it comes to a particular product. So you can count on getting a fairly accurate opinion from other mothers who like you want to know the real score.
Your nursery room won’t be complete until you get the best receiving blanket. These are delightful and would eventually be keepsakes that you can share with your child once they grow up.
Now, finding it doesn’t have to be difficult. As long as you keep in mind the factors to look out for, then you’ll already be ahead. Consider what fabric you want for the receiving blanket. Afterward, decide how you plan to use the product. Do you want one that can turn into an all-purpose blanket over time?
Choose the appropriate size for your baby. You also have the option to select the design of the receiving blanket. Remember to check the manufacturer’s suggestion on how to care for the product so that you can get a lot of use out of it. It’s also a good idea to check out reviews.
To help you further, have a look at these top products for a receiving blanket. Maybe one of these has the qualities of the best receiving blanket for your baby.