Table of Contents
Even when you’re a known chef and serves a gourmet meal that requires exquisite recipes in which who knows where it came from, chances are, you’re still going back to the basics: salt and pepper. Before you even get to the place that you’re standing right now, salt and pepper have been the basic condiments that put either a simple or complex meal to great taste. And we guess it’s safe to say that salt and pepper again, almost never goes absent in almost all meals. However, these two basic condiments aren’t only present in the kitchen but also in almost every table set.
People have different taste buds so expect those people to have their own taste and liking when it comes to their food. That’s why various restaurants included a salt and pepper shaker already on the table for the customers to use. Salt and pepper shaker are basically dispensers which distribute grains of salt and ground pepper in separate containers. It usually has a sleek body with series of holes on its cap and it’s mostly made from plastic, metal, glass, and ceramic. Over the years, the use of shakers has drastically changed, it’s even considered to be a hobby of collecting them amongst other uses.
But did you know that salt and pepper shakers are different in between? For some time now and most probably until today, there are debates in which of the two condiments should use more number of holes. Another thing to consider for a salt shaker is to let the people know that it contains salt by using an opaque style like glass. But if you’re not a fan of those, might as well put a label to it. So, if you’re looking for a salt shaker and confused which is which between a pepper shaker, we rounded up for you the best salt shaker.
Winware Stainless Steel Dredge
Winware Stainless Steel Dredge is the best-seller when it comes salt shakers. The design veers away from the usual shake and pops with its cup-like design. This one can take more salt inside with its relatively large 10 ounce capacity. Whether it’s salt and pepper you put inside, it’s all up to you. In exchange of a sleek container, it’s going to have a stainless steel all over along with the stainless cap with series of holes to it. It comes with a dedicated handle, making it easier to carry whenever you need it inside a kitchen.
This salt shaker can be bought individually or by batches of three, six, and twelve. If you’re curious about the overall measurements, it measures 4” x 2.8” x 4”.
OXO Good Grips Salt Shaker
Who says salt shaker should only have one function? If you’re thinking about only shaking the salt, this one will let you do another thing – pour. The OXO Good Grips Salt Shaker comes with a pour spout featured in the black window making it quicker to pour whenever you’re cooking. After that, you can put it directly on your table to be used with its hole pattern at the top. The top cap sports a stainless steel design that goes along well with the kitchen and kitchen table. The lid easily twists off for easy refilling.
The whole body is of glass material so people won’t have to guess if it’s salt or another thing else is inside. It’s BPA-free and can be hand washed only.
GSI Salt and Pepper Shaker
The GSI Salt and Pepper Shaker won’t have any problem in case you accidentally drop it in a tub of water. Why do you say? The screw caps that let the inside content to be dry is built to be waterproof so as to prevent any liquid substance from entering. Apart from that, it’s also built for better security that makes it a possible companion for backpackers and campers. What’s even great is that it sports two caps found at the bottom and top for salt and pepper combination.
Even with two condiments inside, it’s still designed to be compact and lightweight thank to its glass material. This one comes in one piece and one size at 7” x 3” x 3”.
Kangaroo’s Glass Swirl Salt & Pepper Shaker
While others enjoy the looks of new design salt shaker, still, nothing beats the old classic way design. The Kangaroo’s Glass Swirl Salt & Pepper Shaker comes in a pair for both salt and pepper, or cinnamon and sugar, if you may. The crystal-clear glass design swirls to the body while the stainless steel screw cap features series of holes. Each can hold 3.25 ounce of condiments of your choice. After use, cleaning won’t be much of task as it’s dishwasher safe.
Verdental Stainless Steel Dredge Salt
Glass? Plastic? Well, why not metal all the way? The Verdental Stainless Steel Dredge Salt can contain any condiments that you want as long as it can pass through the holes of it. And speaking of holes, it comes in three different sizes. The small holes are at 2mm, medium holes at 4mm, and large holes at 6mm. This way, the users can easily control the amount to be poured. How’s it possible you say? The metal cover rotates and closes the other all the while being sporting tight and reliable lid.
Its all-metal stainless steel is easy to clean and dishwasher safe for maximum safety. Overall measure is 5cm in diameter and 8cm in height.
What to Look For
Buying a salt shaker sits between making your food taste better or destroying the meal that you have in front of you. It’s important to know what’s inside the container before you go pouring it into the food. What’s great about salt shakers though is that it’s not basically for salt only and not for condiments only when generally speaking. To give you an idea what to buy in a salt shaker, check these things first.
- Material – salt shakers as well as pepper shakers are made of metal, glass, plastic, and ceramic. Each provides their own distinctive features. A metal might not let you know what’s inside but it blends well with other kitchenware and retains the potency of the condiment. The glass material is perfect for public restaurants as well as inside the kitchen that shows the content already, though they’re susceptible to shattering when accidentally dropped. The plastic almost has the same use with a glass material but for a cheaper price, furthermore, it’s the lightest of them all. The ceramic comes in as the most expensive with the fragility of a glass. This type of salt shakers is more of a display rather than for a function.
- Holes – no matter how small those condiments are, the hole size is still to be considered. If possible, get a bigger one as sometimes small holes ends up being blocked when the condiment dries around the opening. Holes that come in different sizes in one container is mostly seen on metal type.
- Portability – when we say portability we mean the ability to be taken outside the house. Yes, it happens. Usually, campers and backpackers carry a salt shaker with them in their adventure. While others tend to bring it with them inside their cars for a quick remedy to their food. When looking for one that will make a good traveling companion, check if the screw caps of covering is secured and tight. Most of the time, rubber caps or caps with rubber inside the screw cap won’t let any content get out. This is where the metal and plastic will come in useful.
- Waterproof – though not required, waterproofing can be vital when you do a lot inside the kitchen. Since you’re moving fast, the salt shaker might accidentally end up going under a tub of water. Waterproofing will come in handy given you’re the clumsy type of a person.
- Style – over the years, salt shaker has evolved noticeably in design. While most of them are still dominated by the loose-and-shake, others opt to include a handle just like how you hold a cup. The latter type can be easily carried comparing and has a wider space for when pouring salt. Others have a special pour window that pours the condiments like water. This one comes down to how much salt you want to be poured in one go.
Salt shakers aren’t only for salt, but it can also be used for other condiments. Other than that, it’s functionality can further be expanded as a decoration among others. With the wide variety of salt shakers, looking for one became a task for people. Just in case you’re out in town, don’t forget to check the material used, the size of the holes, the style, and portability, as well as waterproofing in case you find it useful.
Keeping all the important things in mind, these are the best salt shakers that you can find for your shake and bake, shake and cook, or whatever you call it, needs.