A few weeks ago, I was having trouble opening the door with my keys. It would take more than a few polite jiggling and a hard shove for the lock to turn. I thought it was usual for doors to eventually be so resistant. Imagine my surprise when one night I came home and noticed my door had more than just a few nicks and scratches by the strike plate as if someone was intentionally trying to break the lock! This put me on high alert the whole night and I checked all my other doors and found the back door to show the same signs of distress. On the suggestion of concerned friends, I went ahead and purchased security lights to place overhead on my doors and around the house. Funny enough, it also deterred late night scavenging animals from completely demolishing my garden and garbage bins.
For people commuting to work every single day with no one left to tend for their homes, this can be quite a common problem. Even outside of seedy neighborhoods, break-ins are not unheard of. Proper security measures should be taken by each homeowner. It isn’t enough to just have double-locks installed at every entry or to install the most expensive home security system. Statistics show that burglars and rapists prefer isolation and darkness when considering a target location and victim. So where do we start? The obvious answer is with security lights. These lights are not your usual porch and garden illuminators that we have to light our pathways and help us find our keys. Security lights should always be a staple at any home, buildings and even business establishments. Some have even taken to attaching motion activated lights indoors, in places like the stairs and hallways.
Urpower Solar Motion Sensor Lights
The great thing about the Urpower is that they are not one of the hundreds of companies that buy bulk from China and repackage them as with their own label. The lights require fuss-free installation, being a solar-powered unit; you eliminate the step of fumbling for wires and outlets. Passing the IP64 standard, it has complete protection from dust and splashing water. It makes the perfect sensor light for your pool, driveway, porch, garden, walkways and what have you. The 3.7V 900mAh battery only takes six to eight hours of charging during the day, making it adaptable enough to winter days. It will charge even with partial sun exposure and still work the same. It automatically turns on with barely any lag time at night when it detects motion and stays on until it automatically switches off the next day, very energy efficient! This is one of the best light sources you can have at home during power outages. Its sensor can detect movement up to 10 feet within a wide range of 120 degrees. These cast a white light with blue hues that do not create a strong contrast with the darkness, making it easier to make out movement even farther out its range.
Sunforce Solar Motion Light
It comes with an amorphous solar panel that charges 3 AA batteries regardless of the sun exposure. It makes it good for all seasons and unpredictable weather conditions; it will continue to work unfailingly. Its weatherproof design will enable you to mount the unit anywhere you wish. It can detect motion of up to a good 30 feet with a range of 180 degrees. Now that is some impressive distance! Sunforce makes sure that it can adapt to your needs by providing you a choice in adjustable settings in length of illumination and distance of motion detection. It has a lumen output of 900 which cast a bright but un-blinding white light.
Hallomall Outdoor Solar Wall Lights
These come with 6 super bright environment-friendly LED lights that will generate up to 100 lumens at 3.70 watts and will take 8 hours to charge during daytime. Having 6 LED lights is 50% brighter and more efficient than having only 4 LED lights, which is why it is quickly becoming the choice of many. It gives off a white light with a bluish to purplish hue that does not hurt the eye at all. It is IP65, which is dust-proof and resistant to low pressure water jets coming from any direction.
Robust Solar Outdoor Motion Light
It has a separate solar panel allowing you to place the light in at least 16 feet away at different area that cannot be reached by sunshine. This one advantage that people look for and they have even used it to illuminate hidden or cramped areas. It has 80 LED lights that produce a natural white light with no bluish hue that can illuminate from 16ft to 32ft. It can take the abuse of harsh weather conditions such as snow and subzero temperature with no negative effects on the hardware. Time and lux can be digitally adjusted by a well-placed button at the back. Lux setting means that it will turn on at specific darkness; say for a higher number (or deeper level of darkness), lights will turn on quicker. It has 2 adjustable axes which will you a better range of motion.
Fulcrum Light It Motion Activated LED Path Light
Yes, technically they are called path lights, but people have been using them as overhead lights, too. This lightweight product is not lightweight in performance department since it is weatherproofed against elements and is the go-to choice for indoor lighting (including shower areas). The Light It is battery-operated by just 4 AAs. Its exclusive Floodlight Technology gives off a bright 210 lumens, glare-free and extra-wide coverage from 6 LED lights. The face tilts downward as to not “blind” you with light. Its simple rectangular shape goes with any décor theme. It can be placed along a path way, a garden or mounted up any type of walls, ceilings and doors.
What to Look For
Whether you decide to put up lights inside your home or outside- in the backyard, the playground, the pool, or the driveway- determining how good a security light can be will depend on five factors. No matter the budget, you cannot forgo one factor for another since home security is a serious business.
- Brightness – it is measured in lumens (one lumen is equivalent to a candle light’s brightness from a foot away). Contrary to popular opinion, choosing the brightest light is not always the best way to go. Extreme brightness can temporarily render you blind and can also prevent you from seeing movement in areas not reached by the light because of the stark contrast. You have a choice of picking out what kind of light should be emitted from your security lights: natural white light, yellow-tinted white light, or blue and purple-tinted white light.
- Range – how far your security lights can illuminate is very important. You wouldn’t want to install lights just to find out that your main problem areas are not illuminated enough nor do you want to find that you have obvious blind spots.
- Power – solar powered lights are the most popular choice since it will only cost you the price of the unit. However, conversion efficiency for these models must be closely considered because of changing weather conditions. The energy is then stored in rechargeable batteries of appropriate size. For non-solar powered units, batteries will become the main powerhouse and changing them regularly will become the main cost of upkeep. LED lights are preferred over incandescent lights due to energy conservation.
- Sensor and controls – there are a number of sensors available to one unit and you must determine which are necessary: motion, sound, light and infrared detection. Some units can be manually activating or deactivating when night falls or morning comes. Others can be pre-programmed or set to detect natural lighting. Determining which sensors or controls are important is mainly a matter of safety and convenience, second.
- Waterproof Rating – location, location, location. This is very important in determining which IP rating your security lights must be held against. A light that is to be placed indoors may not need to be as rugged as one that will be placed on your driveway. The unit should be checked carefully for any possible damage that may leak water into the electronics inside.
Home is where we start and end our day. A feeling of uncompromised safety and comfort should always be present. Security lights are the gateway to home security. These are the top picks for security lights no matter where you live or where you choose to place them. They are an affordable investment that should take top priority on every homeowner, landlord, business owner and establishment’s list. Keep in mind the five important factors that will help you find the best lights: brightness, range, power, waterproof rating, sensor, and controls. These lights are readily available online and all under the price of $40. They are so affordable that installing several lights around your home won’t put a serious dent in your pocket. After all, safety shouldn’t be out of people’s reach. So what are you waiting for? Click now and protect your home and family.