Table of Contents
Getting the best sewing chair will help you carry on with what you’re creating. Sitting for extended periods of time can be a pain. Eventually, you’ll give up and rest because your muscles are already sore. The worst part of it is if you force yourself to work through the pain. This can lead to something more serious and chronic.
Rather than end up breaking your back from being hunched over, it’s about time you considered getting a sewing chair. This product is necessary if you sew often using a machine. It’s also great to use at the craft table where you draw your patterns, cut, and baste.
You might think an ordinary chair would suffice. However, this might not provide you with the appropriate support. Ideally, you need lumbar support. Its primary purpose is to make your seat as comfortable as possible. This is for your lower back where the impact is greatest. Convenience is another issue it needs to address.
As a result, you’re able to spend more time working on your project at the sewing machine or craft table. You’ll get to finish one project sooner than later. Hence, you’ll be able to move on to your next project.
As you can expect, the variety of sewing chairs sold on the market to date is plenty. Each sewing chair has something unique to offer you. Yet how do you know which one will meet your needs? Moreover, how will the additional features of a particular sewing chair benefit you?
To avoid feeling overwhelmed by the numerous choices, we feature the top products in the sewing chair category. Learn what each product has to offer and why you might consider one of them as the best sewing chair for you.
Reliable SewErgo 200SE Ergonomic Task Chair with Adjustable Back
The Reliable SewErgo 200SE Ergonomic Task Chair with Adjustable Back is designed for comfort and stability. So you can happily continue working on your sewing project without fear of pain. Its ergonomic design provides adequate lumbar support. At the same time, it allows you to easily adjust its height and back.
For added comfort, the Reliable SewErgo 200SE Ergonomic Task Chair with Adjustable Back has a Waterfall seat edge. This added feature helps relieve pressure points found on the legs. Constant pressure can impede blood circulation. Thus, it causes numbness and leads to fatigue.
The manufacturer offers a 3-year warranty on the fabric and a 5-year warranty on other parts of the Reliable SewErgo 200SE Ergonomic Task Chair with Adjustable Back. Seat dimensions are 20.5 x 20.5 inches. The size of the backrest is 18.5 x 17.5 inches. It weighs 28 pounds.
Flourish Office Adjustable Hydraulic Medical Stool
Technically, the Flourish Office Adjustable Hydraulic Medical Stool isn’t used exclusively as a sewing chair. Yet its features make it worth considering. In terms of comfort, it uses first-rate materials for the seat that has a waterproof faux-leather surface and thick sponge. Hence, it’s easy to clean and won’t easily compress from constant seating.
For your convenience, the seat height is adjustable. So, you can fine-tune it to suit you better. Most notable about the Flourish Office Adjustable Hydraulic Medical Stool is its chrome base. Its nylon castors guarantee you won’t turn inadvertently or get caught as it rolls beautifully across the floor. Moreover, it won’t leave scratches.
The size of the seat is 14 inches in diameter. It can make a 360-degree turn so you don’t have to twist your body to reach for something behind you. You can adjust its height from 21 inches to 27 inches.
Arrow Sewing Cabinet Craft Room Furniture Wood Fabric Chair
The Arrow Sewing Cabinet Craft Room Furniture Wood Fabric Chair offers solid performance. Its wooden legs and base are built for durability. So it won’t buckle if you sit on it for long periods of time. It can support up to 250 pounds.
The four casters at the end of each leg provide added convenience to make it easier for you to move while you’re working on your craft table or sewing cabinet. As a bonus, the Arrow Sewing Cabinet Craft Room Furniture Wood Fabric Chair also has a hidden compartment underneath the seat cushion. Use this space to store patterns or any sketches you might have.
The height of the chair is 30 inches. The seat is 20 inches high which makes it ideal for lumbar support. The seat cushion measures 16 inches deep and is 18 inches wide.
Arrow Sewing Print Material Sewing Chair
The Arrow Sewing Print Material Sewing Chair combines form and function beautifully in a single product. It features a multi-colored fabric designed with various sewing implements. Thus, it makes a cute addition to any sewing room.
Apart from style, the Arrow Sewing Print Material Sewing Chair is also sturdy. So you don’t have to worry that it’ll fall apart while you’re working. Indeed, its Birch wood frame can easily support up to 250 pounds.
The product dimensions measure 18.5 x 18 x 30 inches (W x D x H). The manufacturer is confident of the Arrow Sewing Print Material Sewing Chair’s quality that it offers a 1-year warranty with your purchase.
Flourish Office Adjustable Hydraulic Swivel Kitchen Stool
The Flourish Office Adjustable Hydraulic Swivel Kitchen Stool can serve various purposes including that of a sewing chair. It has a gas lift to help make height adjustments easier. You can adjust the seat height starting at 23.6 to 31.5 inches high. For added comfort, it also has a footrest attached to its chromed pole. For greater mobility, the seat can rotate 360 degrees.
Assembly is required for the Flourish Office Adjustable Hydraulic Swivel Kitchen Stool. However, there’s no need to worry as instructions and the tools necessary to put it together are included in the package. The manufacturer also provides a 1-year warranty.
What to look for
You won’t have a problem looking for a sewing chair because the market has a lot of options to offer. However, choosing the best product to meet your specific needs is another matter. Chances are the selection will leave you more confused. As a result, you might not be able to choose the right one for you.
To help you make the right choice, we list key factors you should take into account while you’re shopping. By doing so, you can make a thorough evaluation. As a result, you’ll find out what would work for you and what won’t.
- Design – The design of the sewing chair should allow you to sit comfortably for long periods of time. Typically, you want it to be able to provide support for your lower and upper back. Quite often, the pain comes from the tension that builds up in the spine due to sitting too long and sitting in a specific position for an indefinite period. Eventually, you might feel numbness or tingling in your legs. Ergonomically designed sewing chairs are equipped with lumbar support functions to counter such effects. The ability to adjust the tilt angle of the seat is another design some chairs have. Sewers and quilters consider this convenient as it makes leaning forward easier and less painful.
- Durable – Check the sewing chair for durability. Inspect the padded cushion for the seat and back to make sure it won’t split as you sit for long periods of time. It should also be able to withstand constant readjustments you might have to do in order to get the ideal position.
- Height – Sewing requires precision measurements. This helps ensure a perfect fit. The same is true for the sewing chair. Getting your right height at the table will make it easier for you to work without struggling to see what you’re doing. It’s also a big inconvenience if you’ve got to sit and stand constantly just to work.
- Price – You can expect to find a wide range of prices for sewing chairs. It’s best to set how much you’re willing to spend. However, you don’t have to worry that this would limit your choices. You’ll still be able to find a lot of choices within a specific price range. Moreover, you won’t go over budget.
- Arms or Not – This factor would be a matter of personal preference. Those who prefer to have arms on their sewing chair can easily find one in the market. However, some sewers might find it inconvenient. So, the option to get one without arms is also possible. Although if you initially bought a chair with arms, check to see if these are removable rather than going out and buying another one.
Finding the best sewing chair shouldn’t be a problem as long as you keep in mind these important factors. Set a budget for how much you’re willing to spend for the sewing chair. Evaluate the design to see what features it has to offer. It’s also good to decide if you want a chair with arms or without arms.
Other factors you also need to assess are height and durability. To make your search easier, remember to check out these top products in this category. Perhaps one of them could have the qualities you’re looking for in the best sewing chair.