Table of Contents
Getting the best shower chair can make bathing safer and easier. This type of equipment can be used inside a shower stall. Thus, you can take a shower independently with minimal assistance. Safety is a major issue in the bathroom. This is particularly true for the elderly owing to their declining mobility. Hence, standing upright under the shower becomes risky. The risk doubles when they enter and exit the shower.
Yet it’s not only the elderly who can benefit from using the best shower chair. Indeed, it’s also helpful for people who have physical disabilities. Even people recovering from an injury or surgery can use it.
Typically, shower chairs are a permanent fixture in medical institutions. This is because it helps caregivers take care of numerous patients. It can effectively support a patient in the shower as the wheelchair would be too big to fit inside the stall.
You can experience the same benefit provided by the best shower chair in your home. While some might dismiss it as a frivolous purchase, it’s the safer bet to using a regular plastic chair. Indeed, the latter wouldn’t have the necessary safety features provided by a shower chair.
As a result, it could possibly increase the risk of an accident. The water in the shower could cause the plastic chair to slide. Thus, you’ll end up with bigger medical problems than you did before.
Finding a shower chair in today’s market can be overwhelming because of the wide selection available. Without knowing what to look for, you might end up with something that’s not up to the task. To give you an idea of what the best product can offer you, we feature the top shower chairs. Find out what each product can provide you and why you might consider getting one of them.
Drive Medical Premium Series Shower Chair
Your bath time will likely be enjoyable again with the help of the Drive Medical Premium Series Shower Chair. It provides the necessary comfort, safety, and efficiency, you want while showering. Thus, it can help lessen your concern about losing your balance in the bathroom.
The Drive Medical Premium Series Shower Chair measures 22.2 x 6.9 x 17.9 inches. The seat measures 16.5 x 21.75 inches. The product weighs 8 pounds. It has large legs for stability. For greater security, it features non-slip feet. So it won’t slide in the water. Its design can match whatever your existing bathroom décor is.
Its seat height is adjustable. Depending on the user’s height it can extend up to 20.5 inches or drop to 16 inches. It can support up to 350 pounds. Assembly is required. However, you don’t any tools to successfully do it.
NOVA Medical Products Deluxe Bath Seat
The NOVA Medical Products Deluxe Bath Seat has an aluminum frame. Thus, you’re certain it’s durable. In fact, it can hold up to 275 pounds. The legs are rustproof and have skid-proof rubber tips for stability.
The seat of the NOVA Medical Products Deluxe Bath Seat and backrest are blow-molded for durability. It also comes equipped with padded arms for comfort.
The product requires assembly but you don’t need to use any tools for this. You can also easily dismantle the NOVA Medical Products Deluxe Bath Seat to keep in storage. On the other hand, you can pack it and take it with you in case you plan to go somewhere for some time.
The product’s seat dimensions are 15.75 x 13 inches (W x D). As an added feature, the seat has holes for the water to drain out easily.
AquaSense Adjustable Bath and Shower Chair
The AquaSense Adjustable Bath and Shower Chair is lightweight as it weighs only 4.5 pounds. But its aluminum frame can easily support up to 300 pounds. Its legs are adjustable. Each leg also has a non-slip rubber tip for greater stability.
Drainage holes in the slip resistant plastic seat let the water draw off so there’s no chance of mold building up. The seat dimension measures 12.2 x 20.1 inches (W x D). You’ll have no complaints using the AquaSense Adjustable Bath and Shower Chair.
Moen DN7025 Adjustable Tub and Shower Seat
The Moen DN7025 Adjustable Tub and Shower Seat features a curved seat made of non-slip high-impact polypropylene. Thus, it’s also simple to clean. The holes in the seat guarantee the water will draw off after you shower. Both ends of the product feature built-in handles that are easy to grip for added stability.
You can also adjust the height of the Moen DN7025 Adjustable Tub and Shower Seat to suit your needs. The height adjustment ranges from 14 to 21 inches. The legs are made of anodized aluminum. For your added safety, the feet of the legs are equipped with rubber. It can support up to 250 pounds.
The manufacturer is confident in the quality of its product. Hence, it offers a limited Lifetime Warranty. This guarantee covers drips, finishing defects, and leaks.
Duro-Med Heavy-Duty Sliding Transfer Bench Shower Chair
The Duro-Med Heavy-Duty Sliding Transfer Bench Shower Chair features a different design from most shower chairs in the market. Indeed, it’s longer. This is because half of it’s meant to be inside the bathtub or shower. The other end is placed outside.
The sliding chair makes it easy to move from one side to the other. So, it doesn’t require any heavy lifting. A nylon strap attached to the seat provides security while moving.
This is a heavy duty shower chair that can support up to 400 pounds. However, it’s important to check the dimensions beforehand. The Duro-Med Heavy-Duty Sliding Transfer Bench Shower Chair measures 39 inches. So it’ll take up more room than other products. Assembly is required.
What to look for
Finding the best shower chair shouldn’t be difficult. Indeed, there’s a lot of products sold in this particular category. To make sure you’ll be able to get the right chair to meet your needs, it’s best to take into account certain factors.
We list them here to help make your evaluation painless and more efficient. As a result, you’re less likely to feel overwhelmed with all the choices you’re bound to encounter.
- Size – You’ll need to consider the existing size of your bathroom. Shower chairs come in various sizes. So you have to be sure the shower chair you select will fit into the shower area. At the same time, leave enough room for you to navigate around it. The extra space around it is also necessary in case you have a caregiver there to help you out.
- Weight – Check how much weight the shower chair can support. You want to make sure that the chair won’t collapse underneath thus causing greater injury. Some products can support up to 250 pounds. Other products offer greater capacity up to 400 pounds.
- Height – The height of a shower chair can either be fixed or adjustable. If choosing a fixed height shower chair, make sure to take into account the height of the person who will use it. This ensures that it won’t be too low or too high so that standing up and sitting down doesn’t become a problem. If you’re planning to get an adjustable shower chair, check the locking mechanism is secure and won’t unhinge once you sit down.
- Need – Assess your need for a shower chair. Do you need one for a short-term period? This is true for people who are recovering at home from a surgery or an injury. This can easily be taken out from the bathroom then kept in storage when you don’t need it anymore. If it’s for long term use, then it might be practical to get a permanent fixture. This is helpful for the elderly as they don’t have to bother with moving it in and out of the shower area.
- Construction – Shower chairs are built to provide safety in the bathroom. Thus, its construction should be sturdy. Ideally, you should look for stability in its legs. Check how far apart these are. At the same time, make sure it has a non-slip material so that it won’t slip and slide in the water.
Price – Decide how much you’re willing to spend for the best shower chair. However, don’t worry about limiting your choices. You’ll easily find a shower chair regardless of what price range you have in mind.
Getting the best shower chair can become confusing if you don’t know what you’re supposed to look for. Thus, it’s a good idea to take note of what factors to consider when it comes to shower chairs. By doing so, you stand a better chance of finding what you need.
It’s best to set a budget so you know upfront how much you’re willing to spend for a shower chair. Assess your need if it’s for long term use or otherwise. Estimate the dimension of your bathroom to figure out what size it can accommodate.
Evaluate the features of the shower chair itself. Find out how much weight it can support. Determine if you need a fixed or adjustable height chair. In addition, inspect its construction for durability and stability. To help you in your search, remember to check out these top products in the shower chair category. Maybe one of these has the qualities you want in the best shower chair.