Table of Contents
Getting the best toddler utensil marks a major milestone in your child’s life. Sooner or later, your toddler will give up the bottle in favor of a solid meal. Hence, your toddler will need the proper tools when the time comes for them to start eating on their own. Naturally, they want to feel like mommy or daddy and use their own spoon and fork.
Using a regular size spoon or fork won’t be all right. These are simply too big to fit into a toddler’s hands. The size of the spoon bowl wouldn’t fit into your toddler’s mouth. Moreover, they don’t have the necessary coordination yet to handle these without hurting themselves or whoever is feeding them. So, either you or your child could get pierced by the fork tines.
Hence, it becomes crucial for you to get the best toddler utensil. By doing so, you’ll keep yourself and your baby safe at the table. Moreover, you’ll encourage them to be independent. At the same time, they get their first lessons in table manners.
Just like any other type of baby product, you won’t be short of choices when it comes to the best toddler utensil. Many brands offer their own version of this product. While this is convenient, the sheer number can be confusing. This is particularly true if you don’t know what you should look for in the best toddler utensil.
But don’t worry. We feature the top products in this category to give you an idea of what you should consider when shopping for a toddler utensil. Check out each one to learn why they made the list of the best.
Gerber Graduates Kiddy Cutlery Forks
Your toddler’s mealtime will be easy with the help of one of Gerber Graduates Kiddy Cutlery Forks. Indeed, it’s perfectly sized to fit your toddler’s hand. Its comfort grip handle design guarantees it’ll stay in their hand. For your child’s added safety, the fork’s handle has a distinct rest easy support. You can be sure the stainless steel portion of it doesn’t touch the table. Thus, it eliminates any chances of it becoming contaminated.
Each package includes three pieces of forks all of which are BPA-free. Moreover, clean up is a breeze as they are dishwasher safe. It’s ideal for toddlers 18 months old and above. The Gerber Graduates Kiddy Cutlery Forks is available in the colors pink, blue, or green. A spoon set that coordinates with the Gerber Graduates Kiddy Cutlery Forks is also available.
Munchkin Sesame Street Toddler Fork and Spoon
Meal times are more fun with a friend. Hence, your toddler will enjoy eating with the Munchkin Sesame Street Toddler fork and spoon featuring Elmo. This popular character can easily join you and your toddler at the table.
The sizes of the spoon and fork can hold adequate food portions for your child to eat. So there’s lesser risk of your child swallowing too much at a time.
The design of the Munchkin Sesame Street Toddler Fork and Spoon is gender neutral. So it’s a good choice for either a boy or girl. It’s also safe to use as its plastic material is BPA Free, Phthalate Free, Latex Free, and Nitrosamine Free. Caring for the Munchkin Sesame Street Toddler Utensil set is easy as it’s dishwasher safe.
OXO Tot Training Fork & Spoon Set
The OXO Tot Training Fork & Spoon Set is the perfect size for your toddler’s little hands. Moreover, its fat handles feature a non-slip grip so those little hands can get a good hold on them. The set is BPA-, phthalate-, and PVC-free. The utensils are made of stainless steel.
For their added safety, the tines on the fork are rounded. So you don’t have to worry in case your child accidentally gets poked. Nonetheless, it can effectively pick up food. Its spoon bowl is rounded and deeper so it’ll be easier to scoop up food. For your own convenience, the OXO Tot Training Fork & Spoon Set is dishwasher safe.
The OXO Tot Training Fork & Spoon Set is available in three colors. Take your pick from Aqua, Green, or Pink.
Zak! Designs Easy Grip Flatware
Your toddler’s mealtime will be enjoyable with the Zak! Designs Easy Grip Flatware. This particular set features a beloved cartoon character, Minnie Mouse. So, there’s a big chance your toddler will be more than happy to eat together with her.
Apart from its amusing design, the Zak! Designs Easy Grip Flatware is the practical choice to help your toddler learn how to use a spoon and fork. They’re easy to hold and not too heavy to pick up.
The spoon and fork are dishwasher safe. The material combines stainless steel for the flatware and BPA-free plastic for the handles.
The product is available in more than 20 styles featuring various cartoon characters. So, chances are you can get the exact character your toddler likes to watch.
Stephen Joseph Silverware Set, Transportation
Getting a toddler to eat on their own won’t be a problem with the Stephen Joseph Silverware Set. It’s available in two designs. Take your pick from either the Transportation or Princess design.
Regardless of what you choose, you’ll get a durable set that your toddler will certainly enjoy using. They’re the perfect size for little hands. The handles of the stainless steel flatware are BPA-free. So it’s the ideal pair to get them started on eating independently.
What’s more exciting about the Stephen Joseph Silverware Set is that you don’t have to leave them at home. If you’re planning to eat out with the family, you can easily take it with you and keep them in their own plastic travel case.
What to look for
As a parent, you certainly want only the best toddler utensil for your baby to use. If so, then you’ll need to do your homework well to make sure you get the right one. To help you, we list the key factors you should look for when comparing products in this particular category.
- Size – Toddlers have small hands. Logically, you’ll need to get the appropriately sized utensils so they can hold it properly. As they learn to eat on their own, they have to be able to hold the utensil securely in their small hand. This also helps them develop their confidence and encourages them to keep trying until they can manage to eat independently. If you let them use a spoon or fork that’s too big for their hands, they’ll likely fumble with it. Moreover, they could end up getting frustrated by it as they can’t bring the food to their mouth successfully.
- Care – Check what type of care is required to keep a toddler utensil clean. Although it would be nice to get one that’s dishwasher safe so that cleanup is quick and easy. Then again, given their size, it might not be so bad if you need to hand wash them.
- Material – Since the toddler utensil is something your child will put into his or her mouth, it’s best to get one that’s safe and non-toxic. Thus, it should be BPA-free, Phthalate-free, and PVC-free.
- Design – The toddler utensil can also have a wide variety of designs, which is often the case with baby products. Colors and shapes help make it interesting for children to see, touch and use. While these might be amusing and cute, your primary concern about the design of a toddler utensil is its function. Regardless of its color and shape, can it do what it’s supposed to do? Can a toddler use it to eat on their own? If the design becomes a hindrance for them to eat then it might not be the best toddler utensil that you need.
- Brand – You’ll find a lot of brands selling baby products in the market to date. However, when shopping it’s best to check reputable companies so you can count on the quality of the product you want. Sadly, some companies are only in business to make money. Quality is only a secondary concern. Thus, choose a brand wisely to make sure you’re getting toddler utensil of superior condition.
- Price – Decide how much you’re willing to spend for the best toddler utensil. As you can expect, prices can cover a wide range. So you can find one that’s expensive, mid-price, and cheap. While it’s best to set a budget, keep in mind that quality should be your primary concern. Nonetheless, you don’t have to worry about limiting your choices because of a budget. You can still find a good number of options in any price range.
Your search for the best toddler utensil shouldn’t be difficult. To make it easier for you, remember to consider these important factors while you’re shopping. To begin with, set a budget. Decide how much you’re willing to pay for the best toddler utensil. If possible, opt for reputable brands that are known for the quality of their products.
Evaluate products according to their size, material, and how to care for them. Assess the overall design of the toddler utensil. To help you further, remember to check out these top products in this category. It’s possible one of them could have the qualities you’re looking for in the best toddler utensil.